Photo Gallery 1 Images
COOS BAY, Ore. - A homicide investigation is currently underway in Coos County.
On Sunday, December 10, Coos Bay police received multiple 911 calls regarding a man laying unconscious in front of his garage. They said some of the calls even came from other members of the residence.
The man was 80-year-old Elmer Lloyd Dennis. He was deceased. Police are not yet revealing how he died, but they did say they're investigating his death as a homicide.
Upon arrival police say other residents of Dennis' home identified his grandson, James Jay Thomasson as the suspect.
Police say Thomasson was on the premises but ran from them. They say they finally cornered him under the deck in the back yard. They then had to tase him in order to get him to cooperate.
One neighbor, George William Faith III, saw the whole thing, and said at one point Thomasson was at gunpoint.
”They drug him out, he was fighting with them and then they tased him once…another struggle. They got him out into the yard, he kept going crazy. They tased him probably I estimate six to eight times…possibly even more," Faith said.
District Attorney, Paul Frasier, said Thomasson had to stay in the hospital overnight for observation.
He has since been released and charged with murder.
According to Frasier, he will likely appear in court on Tuesday, December 12, at 8:15am at the Coos County Circuit Court.
- Coos Bay man charged with murder
- Coos Bay robbery suspect murdered in California
- Man escapes house fire in Coos Bay
- Coos Bay man dies in logging accident
- Police fatally shoot Coos Bay man
- Coos Bay man charged with arson in two house fires
- Coos Bay woman speaks after sister's 1979 murder solved
- Coos Bay deputies arrest bank robbery suspect
- Coos Bay couple killed in house fire
- Fire destroyed house in Coos Bay Sunday