EUGENE, Ore. -- The groundbreaking ceremony for the 5th Street Public Market Expansion was held on Thursday. Developers said the project will bring hundreds of jobs and affordable housing to downtown.
The construction is happening in the lot off of 6th Avenue and Pearl Street, across the street from the existing market.
Obie Companies is developing this project. Vice President Casey Barrett said this space is exactly what downtown needs. The project includes a boutique hotel (The Gordon Hotel), 127-unit apartment building and commercial space for retail and offices.
"As a community for a long time now, we’ve been talking about needing dense residential housing in our downtown core...more mixed use, bringing that vibrancy and creating a destination downtown," said Barrett. "This development checks all those boxes and really delivers what our community has been looking for."
Several city and county officials came to the ceremony. Lane County Commissioner Chair Pete Sorenson said along with affordable housing, this expansion is bringing in jobs.
"Over 200 jobs just in the construction phase alone over the next 18 months." said Sorenson. "And then many other jobs associated with the retail because this isn't just a hotel, it's also retail for downtown Eugene."
The developers said this is the largest private commercial development ever in downtown Eugene. It's scheduled to be completed in about a year and a half.
For more information on the project, click here.
- Construction underway for 5th Street Public Market Expansion
- 5th Street Public Market announces expansion
- Nike to be anchor tenant in 5th Street Public Market expansion
- Pets take photos with Santa at 5th Street Public Market
- Eugene could change height restrictions for 5th Street Market
- Kidsports gets over $1,300 from 5th Street Market
- Road construction underway as Thanksgiving travel begins
- Worker killed at Beltline construction site; investigation underway
- Oregon hemp program expansion proposed
- Greenhill hosts groundbreaking ceremony for expansion project