EUGENE, Ore. -- Construction in front of Eugene Toy & Hobby is hurting sales during the holiday season, according to co-owner Alan Agerter.
"Customers aren't coming by," Agerter said. "They are noticing there is a blockade in the middle the street and so they are turning off before they even get to our store."
Crews are installing a fiber optic cable in the area. Even though construction crews took a break during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, Agerter said he doesn’t know when construction will end and they didn’t get any notice that construction would be taking place in front of their store until it started last week.
"I wish there would be some kind of warning when there is going to be a no parking situation," Agerter said.
Brian Richardson with the city of Eugene said contractors are supposed to give a notice. He said they issued the permit to the contractor back in May and they are working within the proper time window.
Ron Sherriffs recently bought a gift for his grandson at Eugene Toy & Hobby. He said he parked around the block and wonders why the contractors couldn't work at night.
"I'm willing to drive around the block," Sherriffs said. "But people with small children or a loose dog in the car may not want to take that time."
The owner of Epic Seconds next door said he's also feeling an impact.
KEZI 9 News reached out to the contractor for a comment but we not heard back.
- Construction near Eugene Toy & Hobby hurting sales, co-owner says
- Eugene Police: Hobby rocket sparks large field fire
- I-105 construction causing major delays in Eugene
- Property owners mull Eugene smoking ban participation
- Garage sale proceeds go to Eugene shelter
- Marines collect toys for less fortunate at Eugene Comic Con
- Sales dip for business in Springfield due to construction
- Primary taxiway under construction at the Eugene Airport
- 'A thriving young city': Construction booming in Eugene
- Eugene woman seeking owners of Christmas card from 1907