OAKRIDGE, Ore. -- The community is reacting after two people were murdered in Oakridge on Friday.
The Oakridge Police Department responded to a call about a suspicious incident happening on West 2nd Street. Police said the suspect is now in custody and they said she knew the victims.
Matt Altemus has lived in Oakridge almost his whole life, and he said it will not be easy for the community to heal.
"It's definitely going to be a negative impact on the people of Oakridge. It's pretty upsetting actually. Such a beautiful place to live and a good community. Makes you think they need to crack down," Altemus said.
Oakridge High School and Oakridge Elementary School are less than half a mile from where the murders took place.
The superintendent of Oakridge School DIstrict said she never could have imagined something like this would happen in their community, calling it a "freak incident.
This is an ongoing investigation. Stay with KEZI 9 News for the latest information.
- Community reacts to Oakridge murders
- Woman charged with two murders in Oakridge
- Oakridge Household Hazardous Waste Roundup
- Power is restored to Oakridge
- Oakridge Police: suspect in double murder knew victims
- Oakridge power struggle pits mayor vs. administrator
- Train tunnel partially collapses near Oakridge
- Oakridge Mayor Jim Coey steps down
- Oakridge woman gives birth during snowstorm
- One man dies in Oakridge house fire