PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for a man who had been fishing from the shore near Clatsop Spit.
Petty Officer 1st Class Levi Read said the fisherman's wife contacted authorities Wednesday morning after her husband failed to return home. He had sent her a text message Tuesday night.
RELATED STORY: COAST GUARD SEARCHING FOR MISSING OREGON FISHERMAN
The Coast Guard responded with boats and a helicopter, but had no luck finding the 53-year-old Scappoose man.
The Coast Guard said in a tweet late Wednesday that its thoughts are with the fisherman's family and friends.
- Coast Guard searching for missing Oregon fisherman
- Coast Guard suspends search for missing Oregon fisherman
- Body of missing fisherman found on Oregon beach
- Active search suspended for Oregon woman missing 1 week
- Search for missing duck hunter suspended
- Oregon Coast Guard cutter returns after $54M cocaine seizure
- Coast Guard rescues hiker off cliff
- Coast Guard rescues sailor near Coos Bay
- Coast Guard crews prepare for crabbing season
- Fisherman's Market excited for crab season