EUGENE, Ore. -- The City of Eugene is reconsidering the rules it has in place for ridesharing companies.
The new approach focuses on three measures to keep both drivers and riders safe.
City officials want to make sure all drivers are insured at all times. City officials must be shown proof that drivers had their vehicle inspected. Drivers must also show driver certification and pass a criminal background check.
Lindsay Selser, the communications analyst with the city, said they decided to revisit this matter after receiving feedback from the community that ridesharing is needed.
MORE: App lets workers talk about their companies anonymously
Eugene resident, Carolyn Kortge, said she really wants rideshare programs like Uber and Lyft to return to Eugene.
"I understand all of the concerns that get raised,” she said. "However, when I'm in other cities, I've been quite happy with the drivers that I've experienced."
Anne Buettner also agrees.
Buettner said it would be a good option for people who choose to drink and it would make a great employment opportunity.
Currently, ridesharing companies can operate in Eugene but city officials said they don’t because the companies feel their needs are not being met.
The approach will be introduced to councilors Wednesday and if approved changes will be made to the current code. Once those changes are made they will move forward to the next steps of the process.
Selser said if all goes as expected Eugene could expect to see the Uber and Lyft operating again in early summer.
- City of Eugene reconsiders rules for ridesharing programs
- Community shares input on potential rideshare program city code
- Rideshare battle begins
- Eugene seeks public comment on new rideshare policies
- Uber launches rideshare service in Eugene and Springfield
- Influx of rideshare drivers in Eugene continues one year later
- Eugene tightens fireworks rules
- Rideshare drivers need to get certified with the city of Eugene
- Taxi company reacts to new rideshare policy
- Rideshare drivers say Autzen isn't user friendly