Photo Gallery 5 Images
ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A cigarette started a house fire in Roseburg Sunday afternoon, causing about $30,000 in damage, according to fire officials.
The Roseburg Fire Department responded to 477 NE Winchester Street at about 4:18 p.m.
The Roseburg Fire Department said everyone should keep the following safety tips in mind:
• Always discard smoldering and spent cigarettes properly. Select ashtrays that reduce the chances of a burning cigarette falling onto carpeting and upholstery.
• Check wastebaskets and cushions in rooms where people have been smoking. Look for cigarette embers that are still burning.
• Smoking and drinking can be as deadly as drinking and driving. If you host a party and allow smoking, check under chair and sofa cushions before going to bed. Get in the habit of watching out for unattended, but smoldering cigarettes.
• Never smoke in bed or anywhere when drowsy. Cigarettes can smolder longer than most bedding materials and upholstery can resist igniting.
• Keep matches and lighters, especially novelty lighters, out of the reach of children. Even a toddler can operate a lighter. Child resistant lighters are not childproof.
They said heavy smoke and fire were coming from the back of a two-story duplex. All residents got out before crews arrived on scene. Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly and protected surrounding homes from damage.
One family was displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Fire officials said a cigarette left outside the home started the fire.
Nine firefighters fought the fire. Avista, the Roseburg Police Department and Pacific Power assisted.