EUGENE, Ore – An apartment complex was evacuated Sunday afternoon after fire crews found carbon monoxide inside.
It was originally reported as a gas leak.
Eugene-Springfield Fire Department tells KEZI 9 News that two maintenance contractors were using gas-powered leaf backpack blowers inside of a parking garage for about an hour.
Carbon monoxide traveled through the elevator shaft and stairwells and entered other parts of the building.
About 180 people living in The Patterson apartment complex were evacuated.
Firefighters checked the building to make sure no one was sickened. They said at no point were dangerous levels of carbon monoxide detected inside any apartments.
Neither maintenance worker displayed signs of carbon monoxide-related illnesses.
- Carbon monoxide leak forces 180 people out of their homes
- Firefighters issue warning about carbon monoxide poisoning
- Fire officials warn of carbon monoxide poisoning with generator use
- Parents concerned about carbon monoxide exposure at school
- Home Depot looks to fill 180 positions in Eugene
- Draft of Oregon carbon emissions bill emerges
- Home Depot employees return to store after gas leak
- Families to learn about reducing carbon footprint at Corvallis event
- Lane County aims to reduce carbon footprint in plastics roundup
- Race to the finish: Students design carbon dioxide-powered cars