EUGENE, Ore. – Springfield police arrested two men suspected of stealing a car, leading police on a chase into Eugene, then abandoning the car and boarding a city bus in an attempt to escape.
The two men were arrested in the 2500 block of Crescent Avenue in Eugene, about 20 minutes after the car was stolen off of Daisy Street in east Springfield.
Ryan Lee Hicks
Keven Allen Grieve
Sgt. George Crolly of the Springfield Police Department said one of the two men resisted arrest and tried to exit the bus by another door, but police stopped him from doing so. Both men were handcuffed and brought off of the bus. Crolly said both will be charged with crimes related to the stolen vehicle.
The incident began at 7:28 a.m. Wednesday when a car being warmed was stolen from a driveway off of Daisy Street in Springfield. A Springfield police officer spotted the stolen vehicle and pursued it from north on 42nd Street onto westbound Highway 126. Springfield police terminated the pursuit at Mohawk Blvd. due to high speeds and erratic driving on the part of the suspect vehicle, Crolly said.
“Fortunately, EPD was aware of the pursuit and headed to the Coburg and Beltline area,” Crolly said.
A witness saw the vehicle head into a neighborhood off of Crescent Avenue in Eugene. A witness and a police officer saw the suspects get out of the car and onto a city bus. Springfield police then initiated a traffic stop of the bus in the 2500 block of Crescent Avenue.
Police boarded the bus, identified the two men and arrested Keven Allen Grieve, 21, of Springfield for unauthorized use of a vehicle, eluding, reckless driving and recklessly endangering. Ryan Lee Hicks, 28, of Springfield, was arrested on multiple outstanding warrants.
- Morning car theft and pursuit end in arrests
- High-speed pursuit ends in crash, arrest
- High-speed police pursuit ends in arrest in Springfield
- Stolen car leads to police pursuit, manhunt
- Wanted man arrested after pursuit in Lebanon
- Winston man arrested after police pursuit
- UPDATE: Police pursuit ends in Low Pass, suspect ID'd
- Stolen Eugene sports car crashes after police pursuit
- Sweet Home Police make identity theft arrest
- Eugene man arrested after Walmart theft