Roads reopen after gas line repair

Northwest Natural has responded to the scene.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 10:34 AM
Updated: Jan 28, 2020 6:33 PM

EUGENE, Ore. – A gas main was broken at East 23rd Avenue and Willamette Street Tuesday morning.

Police said Eugene Springfield Fire cleared the scene and turned it over to Northwest Natural. The Eugene Water & Electric Board was handling traffic control.

A nearby daycare was evacuated during the situation as a precaution.

Shakelah Morgan, the owner of College Hill Blessings, said that she noticed a strong smell of gas at the day care, but her main priority was making sure that the children in her care would be okay.

“I was concerned about them going to sleep and having that smell in the home,” Morgan said. ”I know my parents trust me, and I take great pride in that. I felt that it was best to notify them to come get their children. They’re safest with their parents.”

Spring Hulsey is a mother of one of the children at the day care. She said that the news about a gas leak terrified her, and she rushed to get her son.

“I wanted to get here immediately,” Hulsey said. “I had to wait for someone to relieve me, and I got here as quick as I could. Shakelah did a great job, just making sure that the babies were safe and taken out of the house. I have my son. I feel so much better.”

At the time the gas leak was reported, police said drivers should avoid the area of Willamette Street between 22nd and 24th avenues, and they said 23rd Avenue was closed from Portland Street to Amazon Parkway. They have since reopened.

Article Comments

Eugene
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 37°
Corvallis
Scattered Clouds
39° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 39°
Roseburg
Overcast
43° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 43°
North Bend
Clear
44° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 44°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events