ALBANY, Ore. -- A woman is speaking out after her daughter was sexually abused by a now-former employee of the Boys & Girls Club of Albany.
Robin Fielder told KEZI 9 News her daughter has been going to the Boys & Girls Club since first grade, and there has never been any issues until now.
Fernando Lopez was found guilty of sexual abuse in court on Thursday.
Fielder said the abuse came to light when she found cell phone pictures of her 16-year-old daughter kissing the 25-year-old employee. Fielder said she immediately went to the club and demanded answers.
Fielder said the pictures were taken in plain sight during a club field trip and at the club itself.
The director of the Boys & Girls Club in Albany gave KEZI 9 News a written statement saying this did not happen at their facilities or during club hours, but he did confirm there was an inappropriate relationship between the two.
Although the two stories don't add up, Lopez was found guilty and sentenced to 30 days in jail -- a sentence Fielder said is too light.
KEZI 9 News spoke with an Albany Police Lieutenant who said the jail sentence of 30 days is not unusual in cases like this. Due to the victim being older than 15 and the age difference of 9 years, the case was a misdemeanor, not a felony.
- Teen abused by now-former Boys & Girls Club employee
- Boys & Girls Club brings mental health service to teens
- Bill Musgrave Open benefits Boys & Girls Club
- Boys & Girls Club gets new computer lab thanks to IGT
- Field of Dreams Auction raises $85,000 for Boys & Girls Club
- Johnson Center opens at Corvallis Boys and Girls Club
- Young Boys & Girls Club member meets Ducks Basketball Team
- Man faces sex abuse charges, accused of abusing 2 teens
- Catwalk for a Cause raises $120K for Boys and Girls Club
- Boys and Girls Club of Corvallis cutting ribbon on new center