SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A new BottleDrop center opened in Springfield Tuesday.
The center is part of the Oregon Beverage Recycling Cooperative and it makes it easier for people to redeem bottles and cans.
The location is open seven days a week and allows customers to redeem bottles and cans by having an account, using the self-service stations, or having someone count them by hand.
There are other bottle drop locations in Oregon, but Mayor Christine Lundberg said she is excited to finally have one in Springfield.
"It's very exciting to have a bottle drop here in Springfield," she said. "I want to say it's about time. It's definitely needed. It's something where we want to encourage everyone to recycle as much as possible and this gives us another option."
Lundberg said when people turn in bottles they can be used to make new products or be given to non-profits.
- BottleDrop center opens in Springfield
- Roseburg BottleDrop will be opening later this month
- First BottleDrop on Oregon Coast opens in Newport
- Recyclers save for higher education through BottleDrop
- Wayfair opening new sales and service center in Springfield
- Springfield library open after flooding
- Bottle deposit center maybe coming to Springfield
- Egan Warming Center finds new Springfield location
- Egan Warming Center announces Springfield location
- New axe-throwing lounge opens in Springfield