BEND, Ore. -- The man suspected in the 2016 murder of a Bend woman has pleaded guilty.
Officials with the Deschutes County District Attorney's Office said Edwin Lara, changed his plea on Monday.
The former Central Oregon Community College security guard is accused of killing Kaylee Sawyer, 23, in July 2016 and later kidnapping a woman in Salem. Authorities said he then drove to California, where he allegedly shot and injured a man and carjacked a vehicle with a family inside.
Kaylee Sawyer's mother posted on Facebook that Lara agreed to a plea deal to avoid a possible death sentence.
- Bend murder suspect pleads guilty
- Eugene crime spree suspect pleads guilty
- Mail bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc pleads guilty
- Suspect in dismemberment killing pleads not guilty
- Police: Bend robbery suspect impersonated officer
- Man pleads not guilty to murder of Eugene man
- Roseburg teen pleads not guilty to murdering foster family
- Linn County man pleads not guilty to murder
- Woman pleads guilty to manslaughter
- North Bend woman killed; estranged husband charged with murder