Corvallis, Ore. -- After a lackluster shooting performance against Stanford, Oregon State men's basketball shot 54 percent from the floor to top Cal at home on Saturday, 79-71.
The Beavers led by as many as 11 points in the second half. Cal cut the lead to one after a Connor Vanover three-pointer with 5:57 to play. Oregon State followed with a mini five-point scoring spurt capped off by a three-pointer from Tres Tinkle. Tinkle recorded 19 points in the contest.
"We kind of start separating a little bit, they found a way to make some shots. and so, we knew it was going to be a dog fight," Tinkle says. "But credit to us for staying disciplined and you know being the tougher team and more disciplined in the end."
Stephen and Ethan Thompson came to play as well. Stephen led the team in scoring with 21 points. Ethan added 20 points.
The Beavers also revved up the perimeter defense. The Beavers held Cal to 31 percent shooting from three-point range after allowing Stanford shot 53 percent from beyond the arc on Thursday.
Oregon State will host Oregon in the Civil War at 7:30 pm on Saturday at Gill Coliseum
- Beavs bounce back against Cal
- Beavs lose big to Utah
- Oregon bounces back in Ruthy Hebard's return
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavs suffer road losses
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks sweep doubleheader
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks come up short
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks both fall
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks get swept
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop road games
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop home games