SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A guest at a Springfield motel said a stranger broke into her room and attempted to rape her while children watched.
According to police, the incident happened around 3 a.m. Monday at the Motel 6 on International Court. Melissa Jones said she was in her motel room watching television with her two daughters when she heard a knock at the door. Thinking it was a friend, she went to answer it.
Police said when she opened the door, she found 30-year-old Anthony Miner. According to Jones, he asked for money and forced his way into the room, locking the door behind him when she refused. Jones and Minor have no known association.
He allegedly told Jones to put her children into the bathroom so he could rape her. Jones said she fought back while Miner tried to tear off her clothes.
"My anxiety was through the roof," Jones told KEZI 9 News. "Just a lot of fear. No mother wants their kids to go through anything like that."
Jones said a nearby neighbor heard her and her children screaming and helped them escape through the window. She tried to call the police, but Miner allegedly took the phone out of her hands and retreated to the bathroom. Jones then also escaped the motel room.
"I was thankful because it could have turned out a lot worse. Just knowing my kids were safe, it was a big relief for me," said Jones.
According to police, Miner barricaded himself in the room for hours while officers tried to get him out. Guests at the hotel described seeing a heavy police presence, including a sniper, and being asked to return to their rooms by police.
Miner was eventually arrested and charged with attempted rape, burglary and menacing, police said.
"I hope he doesn't get out. He had no remorse to sit up there and try and violate me in front of my daughers. He just didn't care, so he doesn't need to be out," Jones said.
- Man arrested in attempted rape at Motel 6 with children present
- Two arrested for allegedly robbing man in motel
- Man accused of online sexual corruption arrested at Sutherlin motel
- Man who strangled woman in Portland motel gets 15 years
- UPDATE: Man and two dogs killed in motel fire
- Eugene man accused of attacking motel owner in hate crime
- Woman sentenced for starting Newport motel fire
- Cougar euthanized after wandering into Oregon motel
- Albany motel manager facing child porn charges
- Creswell motel catches fire; 10 people evacuated