INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION -- Astronauts began the first of three spacewalks to bring upgrades to the International Space Station Friday morning.
NASA astronauts Anne McClain and Nick Hague are working to replace old nickel-hydrogen batteries with new lithium-ion batteries. They are first-time spacewalkers.
Throughout the excursion, they will stay in contact with NASA's master control in Houston, Texas.
Then, next week McClain and Christina Koch will make history when they participate in the first all-female spacewalk.
- WATCH LIVE: 1st spacewalk of 2019
- NASA's first all-female spacewalk is delayed because there aren't enough spacesuits that fit
- Watch Live: Hurricane Florence web cams from the Carolinas
- State of the Union 2019: What to watch
- Oregon's transportation taxes take effect Jan. 1st
- Special Report: Missing Lives
- Colorado beats Oregon State 36-33 for 1st conference win
- 1st annual Dirty Dash fundraiser held at Prairie Mountain School
- May 2019 Special Election Results
- Youth heart screenings can save lives