EUGENE, Ore. -- What started as a simple arrest for a restraining order violation turned into a tense confrontation with police when they said a juvenile allegedly pointed a BB gun rifle out a window.
The incident happened around 10:45 a.m. on Friday at 1385 W. 17th Ave.
Police said they were there to arrest Ryan Neal Ramsey, 30, of Eugene who was not legally allowed at the house. However, when they arrived, they saw a rifle pointed out a window.
Lt. Doug Mozan of the Eugene Police Department said after seeing the rifle, officers backed off from the home, closed down nearby streets and called in for backup, including a SWAT team.
Eventually, Ramsey was arrested. He faces charges of violating a restraining order and interfering with police.
Mozan said they later discovered that the rifle was a BB gun that a juvenile inside the home was using to shoot at a target outside the home. He said the juvenile never intentionally pointed the rifle at officers.
"Had this person pointed it at police, this could have had a tragic outcome, and and I'm very glad that it didn't," Mozan said.
Richard Shell said he was doing maintenance at a nearby adult foster care home when he saw police in body armor and carrying rifles outside the window. He said when he went outside to find out what was happening, police told him to get back inside. Shell is thankful the boy with the BB gun was not shot by police.
"A kid could've got shot," Shell said. "(Police) didn't know the difference -- a BB gun or toy gun -- they don't know, so what are they going to do? You're going to protect yourself and protect the people who are surrounding the area."
Mozan said it is illegal for guns to be discharged in city limits, including BB guns. He said the juvenile will likely not be charged.
Nearby César E. Chávez Elementary School was briefly on a lockout during the incident.
- Police swarm to Eugene neighborhood; subject arrested
- Suspects arrested after shooting in Eugene neighborhood
- Police investigating death in Eugene neighborhood
- Springfield police chase suspect to Eugene neighborhood
- Police investigating string of car break-ins in Eugene neighborhood
- Eugene police arrest assault suspect
- Eugene police arrest wanted man
- Eugene neighborhood upset over offensive graffiti
- Eugene neighborhood giving 'treats' for a decade
- Helicopters swarm wildfire near Cottage Grove