EUGENE, Ore. -- Saturday marked the opening day and the 50th anniversary of the Saturday Market in downtown Eugene.
The streets were packed with locals enjoying food, music and local art as well as vendors who lined up eager to share their products with the community.
Some said the market in and of itself has become a community.
"It helped me originally to meet other people when I was new here and meet other artists, and I guess exposure, and it helps my business too. It's my full time job as well," vendor Bret Pendlebury said.
Fifty years ago when the market first opened, there were only 29 vendors. Now the market has over 800 members -- 300 of them who sell every weekend.
The market is free to the public every Saturday rain or shine from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Eugene Saturday Market kicks off 50th year
- Farmers Market opens Saturday in downtown Eugene
- Mother's Day Powwow receives great honor in 50th year
- Eugene Market Fest set for this weekend
- Holiday Market brings holiday spirit to Eugene
- 49th Annual Saturday Market opens this weekend
- Lane County Winter Farmers Market begins Saturday
- Arrests made downtown during Saturday Market
- Eugene Science Center celebrates 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 moon landing
- Cystic Fibrosis walk held in Eugene Saturday