SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A fundraiser was held Sunday for a Eugene mother of three who was badly burned in a backyard fire.
Community members came out to the Northwest College of Beauty in Springfield to support Kayla Williams who is still recovering at a Portland hospital.
The beauty school is usually closed on Sundays, but it was opened just for the fundraiser.
"I think it's pretty amazing for one with it being Superbowl Sunday," said the school's supervisor, Rachael Franklin."When we made this, I didn't even think about it. At first, I was little nervous, but as the weeks came and we started organizing it, we started getting more and people volunteering and people were calling here to make appointments and so this turned out pretty big and I'm super excited that we have such a supportive community."
Williams said she suffered burns on 75-percent of her body.
Williams was injured back in December when police said she and her fiance built a fire on a barbecue grill by pouring gasoline on top. Officials said a bottle filled with gas melted, catching her clothes on fire then igniting another gas can, which caused an explosion.
Franklin said even though this happened in December, it means the world to see community members still follow the story and care.
"It just kind of shows you that there is still human kindness in the world still," she said. "I think we all get caught up in the every day life thing and we forget that we're all human beings and we need to pull together and help each other."
If you couldn't make it to today's fundraiser, Franklin said there's a donation jar at the school.
Friends have also set up a GoFundMe account for Williams. To donate, click here.
- Springfield beauty schools holds fundraiser for student injured in explosion
- Springfield beauty school plans fundraiser for student injured in explosion
- Explosion severely injures Eugene woman
- Springfield jail holds ICE detainees
- Springfield school district provides counseling to students
- Springfield students "Walk and Roll" to school
- Springfield students spend day at outdoor school
- Springfield students enjoy bike rodeo
- 2 injured in explosion at Albany plant
- Community holds fundraiser for local family