EUGENE, Ore. — The Eugene School District 4J presented four preliminary designs for a brand new North Eugene High School Tuesday night, and one design was chosen as the favorite option.
The plan is to demolish Corridor and Yujin Gakuen elementary schools in the west side of the campus and build a new high school.
The architects presented their ideas to a crowd of over 100 people who got to see how the new school might look. It will be the district's first new high school in more than 50 years.
Next, the architects selected the favorite design, which they said is the most efficient energy-wise and for student movement. The audience got to weigh in.
The design they will recommend is a two-story building that encloses a courtyard. Students and staff will be able to walk a loop inside the building.
New athletic facilities will be on the east side of the building and preforming arts will be on the north side. This will allow the public to have easy access to the theater and athletic events. Brent Arnold graduated from North Eugene High School in 1960 and he's excited to the finished project.
"It also make me happy to see all of the aspects of the architectural design go into security measures they thought of for today's school," Arnold said.
District spokesperson Kerry Delf said this is the most visible use of the public tax dollars after a 2018 bond measure was passed that approved this project.
“This is a really exciting time to see these investments in our community and in our schools in the north Eugene region and the Eugene School District 4J,” Delf said. “This is a significant project, it’s a long project and a lot of work, but the payoff in the end will be a flagship, state of the art, new high school building in the north Eugene region.”
The architects will bring a finalized version of the design to the district in the coming months, and the school board will vote. If approved, construction would begin in June 2021, and the new school would be open by fall 2023. The project will cost about $135 million.
- 4J unveils designs for new North Eugene High; favorite selected
- Eugene unveiling 3 town square design concepts
- Design changes unveiled for Hayward Field
- 4J officials seek input on new Edison Elementary design
- 4J open house highlights design ideas for new Edison Elementary
- Designs for Eugene's Riverfront Park revealed
- Eugene 4J School Board approves new fall schedules
- Eugene 4J rally welcomes staff to new school year
- Eugene 4J: Teacher walkout could cancel classes on May 8
- Student enrollment on the rise for Eugene School District 4J