EUGENE, Ore. -- In anticipation of a new school being built for Edison Elementary in Eugene, the 4J school district held a community open house on Monday.
Parents, neighbors and those interested got to take a look at the designs for the rebuild as well as offer their feedback.
The bond measure to build three new schools was approved in November 2018 and in summer construction is going to begin at Edison, which is on 22nd Avenue in south Eugene.
"Edison is the oldest building in the district. It was built in 1926. It's in very poor condition, including seismic condition," said 4J spokesperson Kerry Delf. "We are looking to have a new building on this site beginning construction next summer and opening the new building in 2022.”
In addition to Edison, Camas Ridge Elementary School and North Eugene High School will also be getting new buildings.
However, every school across the district will feel the benefit of this bond measure from facility upgrades to technology and curriculum upgrades as well.
All students from Edison will be temporarily housed at the Old Willard School at 29th Avenue and Lincoln Street while their new building is being built.
Rene Berndt, one of the architects on the project, said there is something special about being able to design a school that means so much to a community.
"For us it's been exciting to get all the information from the district and apply our knowledge about modern learning environments to make sure that we're developing for the future," he said.
The next meeting will be closer to when a final design is ready for the school, officials said.
- 4J open house highlights design ideas for new Edison Elementary
- 4J officials seek input on new Edison Elementary design
- Edison Elementary students walk to school with UO athletes
- Elementary students help design playground
- 4J School District hosts annual elementary showcase
- 4J unveils designs for new North Eugene High; favorite selected
- OSU seeking design ideas for Reser Stadium remodel
- Students participate in bike rodeo at 4J elementary schools
- Eugene holds open house for steam plant concept designs
- Corvallis School District holds open house for concept designs