COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A crash on Interstate 5 south of Cottage Grove left five horses dead and two people hospitalized.
Troopers say it started around 5:30 p.m. Friday at milepost 168 when a northbound pickup truck towing a horse trailer rear-ended a semi. Investigators say the driver of the pickup was distracted by an earlier accident in the southbound lanes.
The driver of the pickup and his passenger, both from Yoncalla, were airlifted to RiverBend hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. The animals were killed in the collision.
The accident brought traffic to a crawl for several hours while crews worked to clear the debris.
- 5 Horses Killed, Owners Injured on I-5
- Neglected horse sues former owner
- One killed, another injured in I-5 wreck near Cottage Grove
- Owner of neglected horses found guilty
- Pedestrian killed on I-5 near Cottage Grove
- Property owner cited after 61 neglected horses seized in Creswell
- Owners want horses back after mass seizure in Creswell
- Driver injured after veering off I-5 in Creswell
- Owner demands answers after she says her horses were unfairly seized
- Infant killed, child injured in Oregon crash