FALL CREEK, Ore. -- A man survived after an early morning crash in Fall Creek. Officials said he hit and killed a bear.
Lane County Sheriff's Office and Lane County Public Works investigated the crash on Pengra Road in Fall Creek at 4:45 a.m.
The man involved in the accident told KEZI 9 News that he was driving to Springfield and was traveling about 50 mph.
He said that's when the bear suddenly jumped in the road and hit the front end of his truck. He then lost control of his steering wheel and careened off the road and into a ditch.
Lowell Fire Department arrived on the scene to find the man still in his truck.
He said he was afraid to get out because he was not sure where the bear went.
The man didn't suffer any injuries, but the bear died.
Lane County Public Works arrived on the scene to collect the bear, while the driver waited for a tow truck.
Firefighters and police said they rarely see an accident involving a bear.
The road where the accident happened has been cleared.
- Truck crashes into ditch after hitting bear
- Truck crashes into Eugene home
- School bus hit by truck in Lebanon
- Driver dies when truck hits propane tank
- One person injured in tanker truck crash
- Man accused of stealing UPS truck, crashing
- Semi-truck hits concrete divider causing traffic delays
- Driver cited after train hits semi truck in Eugene
- Dump truck hits power pole, causes outage in north Eugene
- Boy recovering after being hit by truck in Eugene