EUGENE, Ore -- Now that summer has come and gone, it's time to think ahead to winter and protecting your lawn.
Caleb Johnson, owner of Johnson Brother's Garden Market, has three tips to winterize your lawn.
"There are three easy things we can do. First, add some lime. Second, add a winterizing fertilizer and then add soil activator," said Johnson.
Lime helps raise the pH level in the soil. Johnson said the pH level in the Willamette Valley is very acidic.
Adding a winter fertilizer is also important.
"Winterize is a fertilizer that is very basic. It's got a little bit of nitrogen to keep things green. No phosphorus and quite a bit of potassium which is going to help make the lawn, stronger and help it survive a lit bit better over the winter," added Johnson.
Next up, Johnson recommends using a soil activator.
"It does exactly what it says, it activates your soil. It's humic acid which contains tons of beneficial bacteria. It's pretty thick and chunky so it takes a while to break down. That's why we are putting it down now so it has a chance to get to work in your soil," Johnson said.
Johnson said if you do these three simple things now your grass will be green, healthier and better looking next Spring.
Johnson Brothers Garden Market is located at 91444 Coburg Road in Eugene.
- In The Garden: Winterize your lawn
- In The Garden: "Drink Up Your Garden"
- In the Garden: Gardening on a budget
- In The Garden: 2018 gardening trends
- In The Garden: Creating a Mediterranean garden
- In The Garden: Japanese-Themed Garden
- In The Garden: From garden to table
- In The Garden: Transform winter squash into comfort food
- In The Garden: Assessing plants damaged by winter weather
- In The Garden: Hydrangeas