EUGENE, Ore. -- With Hayward Field under construction, the nation's premier track and field meet has to find a new home for this year's race.
The Prefontaine Classic has been held at Hayward Field in Eugene every year since 1973 until now. Sources told KEZI 9 News the meet will be moved to Stanford this June while construction continues at Hayward Field.
Crews expect to be finished with the new Hayward Field by April 2020, in plenty of time for the 2020 Prefontaine Classic to be held there. Runners said they are optimistic that the meet will return to Eugene next year.
The meet director, Tom Jordan, reportedly made the announcement last week at an Oregon Track Club Board meeting. However, the official announcement will not come until Feb. 5.
Jordan says he cannot confirm the new location until then because the wording of the announcement has to first be approved by five different organizations.
- Prefontaine Classic relocated to Stanford as Hayward Field work continues
- Prefontaine Classic says goodbye to old Hayward
- Prefontaine Classic brings big business to Eugene
- Hayward Field Construction Closures
- Hayward Field construction work extends to midnight
- Hayward Field work could extend to midnight
- Crews start dismantling Hayward Field
- UO announces massive renovation to Hayward Field
- Community reacts to Hayward Field renovation plans
- Board of Commissioners supports Hayward Field renovations