A pregnant woman was found dead in Mississippi on Monday, less than a week after she disappeared, authorities said.
Makayla Winston, 21, was last seen on Thursday leaving her home in Goodman, north of Jackson, Holmes County Sheriff Willie March said.
Holmes County investigators found Winston's body off Franklin Road, near Highway 17, which is located south of Lexington, March told CNN.
Winston's body will be taken to the state crime lab in Jackson to determine the cause of death, according to March.
Winston was last seen in Goodman on Thursday night, her mother, Yvetty Brown, told CNN affiliate WLBT. She had left her daughter in her parked car and was "heading to show the sonogram to the baby's father," Brown told the station.
Winston had been due to give birth on July 4, according to WLBT.
- Investigators find body of missing pregnant woman in Mississippi
- Officers find body of woman missing for eight days
- Police find body of missing Maine teacher
- Woman dead, pregnant woman injured in shooting
- Police search for missing 'suicidal' and pregnant woman with child
- A Facebook post asking for baby supplies helped lead police to a missing pregnant woman's body
- LSU students find body on Southern's campus along Mississippi River
- Crash kills pregnant woman, baby survives
- Pregnant woman stabbed 30 times, baby dies
- Cops: Bodies of pregnant mom and daughters found