When a group of West Virginians were rescued from an abandoned mine last week, authorities hinted they could face criminal charges.
The Raleigh County Sheriff's Office issued arrest warrants this week for the four people who entered a sealed mine and became trapped.
Accidents, disasters and safety
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Continents and regions
Crime, law enforcement and corrections
Law and legal system
Mining and minerals
Safety issues and practices
Southeastern United States
Eddie Williams Jr., 43, is being charged with entering without breaking, conspiracy and giving false information to law enforcement, the sheriff's office said.
The sheriff's office said Friday that arrest warrants also had been issued for Kayla Williams, 25, Erica Treadway, 31, and Cody Beverly, 21, in connection with entering the mine, but it didn't specify any charges.
The group was suspected of entering the mine to steal copper, authorities said last week after the rescue.
CNN has reached out to the Raleigh County Sheriff's Office for comment.
The four were reported missing December 8.
Williams was able to escape from the Rock House Powellton mine in Clear Creek two days later.
He told authorities three others were trapped in the mine and gave their location, according to the West Virginia governor's office. Williams, Treadway and Beverly finally were rescued on December 12 and taken to a local hospital for medical treatment.
The three were alert, talking and walking without assistance, Raleigh County Sheriff Scott Van Meter said after the rescue.
"It's a miracle they were found alive," Van Meter said.
The underground mine is inactive and sealed, Contura Energy, whose affiliate Elk Run Coal owns the property, told CNN.
- Arrest warrants issued for 4 who got trapped in abandoned West Virginia mine
- China mining accident: 18 trapped in tunnel
- 3 freed from West Virginia mine after 5 days
- They went into an abandoned mine to steal copper, police say. Then they got trapped.
- Brazilian police issue arrest warrants in Rio 2016 federal probe
- Police rescue malnourished dog, issue arrest warrant for owner
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for journalist amid press crackdown
- South Africa issues arrest warrant for Grace Mugabe
- A mine-owning, Mitch McConnell-hating, former convict could be the Republican Senate nominee in West Virginia
- Warrant issued for R. Kelly's former manager