1. Tech rout: Tech stocks were hit hard Tuesday amid concerns about slowing demand for Apple iPhones.
Banking, finance and investments
Business, economy and trade
Cisco Systems Inc
Company activities and management
Economy and economic indicators
Financial markets and investing
Financial performance and reports
Government and public administration
Government organizations - US
Company stock prices
The slump was triggered by a 5% slide in Apple (AAPL) shares on Monday after supplier Lumentum (LITE) cut its earnings and sales forecast because of weak demand. JPMorgan also cut its target price on Apple's stock.
2. Amazon decides: Amazon has chosen New York City and Northern Virginia to split duty as its second headquarters, according to the Wall Street Journal. The official announcement could come as early as Tuesday.
The development projects will bring the cities a huge infusion of jobs and tax revenue, but are almost certain to draw fire from critics concerned about their impact on infrastructure and property values.
3. Global market overview: US stock futures were pointing higher.
US crude futures dropped 2% to trade at $58.70 per barrel. Crude is on track for 12 consecutive days of losses, the longest slide since oil futures trading was introduced on the NYMEX in March 1983. The historic slump knocked oil into a bear market — barely a month after it hit four-year highs.
Shares in Vodafone (VOD) jumped almost 6% after the UK telecoms firm said it would slash costs and create a virtual company to manage its towers. Vodafone also froze its dividend.
5. Coming this week:
Tuesday — Aramark (ARMK), Home Depot (HD) and Tyson Foods (TSN) earnings
Wednesday — Blue Apron (APRN), Progressive (PGR), Cisco Systems (CSCO), Gap (GPS), and Macy's (M) earnings; Inflation numbers for October
Thursday — Nvidia (NVDA), Nordstrom (JWN), Walmart (WMT), and Manchester United (MANU) earnings; October retail sales
Friday — Williams-Sonoma (WSM) earnings
- Tech rout; Amazon decides; Oil losses
- Amazon soars; Korea summit; Oil earnings
- Tech rout; Brexit pressure; Volkswagen announcement
- One more company decides to join Amazon, not fight it
- Oil and tech's crash have wrecked hedge funds
- Amazon and the rest of Big Tech are on fire
- What is Amazon's responsibility over its facial recognition tech?
- Amazon HQ2 sites have been decided. Now the real work begins
- Oil and Gasoline Fast Facts
- Venezuela oil production is plummeting