Authorities in Maine have confirmed that remains of a woman found Friday are those of a teacher who had been missing for almost a week.
The body of Kristin Westra was discovered near her home in a wooded area in North Yarmouth, Maine, the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department said. Authorities said Sunday they have determined she committed suicide.
Westra, 47, disappeared Monday in the Portland suburb of 3,600 residents.
"My heart is crushed today," her husband, Jay Westra, wrote on Facebook on Friday after the remains were found.
- Vigil held for missing teacher after body found
- Missing Florida diver's body found
- Body found near where Maine teacher went missing
- Police find body of missing Maine teacher
- Vigil for Parkland victims held in Newtown
- Candlelight vigil held for fallen Hopkinsville officer
- Vigil held for murdered 2-year-old
- Body of missing fisherman Nik Kayler found
- Body found identified as missing mother
- Vigil held for Joe Clyde Daniels as community mourns