Authorities are trying to identify the body of a woman found Friday in Maine, near the home of a teacher who has been missing for days.
Kristin Westra, 47, disappeared Monday in North Yarmouth, a town of about 3,600 residents in Cumberland County, Maine.
Continents and regions
Northeastern United States
The body was discovered Friday morning and taken to the state medical examiner's office in Augusta, according to the county sheriff's office.
Westra's husband, Jay Westra, posted "My heart is crushed today" to his Facebook page on Friday after the remains were found.
On Wednesday, Capt. Scott Stewart of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said officials received credible information that Kristin Westra was possibly seen on a road not far from the family's home.
- Police find body of missing Maine teacher
- Body found near where Maine teacher went missing
- Missing Florida diver's body found
- Vigil held for missing teacher after body found
- Remains found in Maine woods are of missing teacher, authorities confirm
- Body of missing fisherman Nik Kayler found
- Body found identified as missing mother
- FBI: Body found believed to be of missing 4-year-old
- Body found identified as missing mother; Detectives investigating as homicide
- Body found in search for missing Filipino student Jastine Valdez