HP Hood LLC has recalled some half-gallon cartons of refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk because they may contain milk, an allergen not listed on the label, the US Food and Drug Administration said Friday. A single reported allergic reaction did not require medical treatment or hospitalization.
The product is safe to consume unless you have a milk allergy or sensitivity, the Massachusetts-based company noted in a statement. However, those who do have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reactions if they consume the beverage.
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Diseases and disorders
Food and drink
Health and medical
Kinds of foods and beverages
Approximately 145,254 half-gallon cartons of the affected almond milk were shipped to retailers and wholesalers in 28 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Consumers who purchased the product may return it for a full refund or exchange or visit the Blue Diamond website to complete a form.
The recall applies only to refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk with a use-by date of September 2, 2018. To identify recalled cartons, consumers should also look for a Universal Product Code (UPC barcode) of 41570 05621 on the side panel next to the nutrition facts.
Additionally, recalled cartons contain these identifying codes stamped on the containers: H5 L1 51-4109; H5 L2 51-4109; H6 L1 51-4109; and H6 L2 51-4109.
The company, which was founded in 1846, could not be reached for additional comment.
- Got milk? Vanilla Almond Breeze might, prompting recall
- The fight over defining soy and almond milk
- Non-dairy beverages like soy and almond milk may not be 'milk,' FDA suggests
- Burns from fitness trackers prompt recall of about 30,000 gadgets
- Listeria outbreak prompts recall of Vietnamese pork rolls
- Florence prompts mandatory evacuations
- Almond Growers 'On High Alert' During Freeze
- Does chocolate milk represent racial diversity?
- High winds wreak havoc as Canada breezes to double gold