While jeers from fans can come from a bad First Pitch on a normal game day at baseball fields across the nation, Harbor Park was all positive vibes on Sunday when David Johnson took the mound.
The 2-year-old is battling a kidney tumor and has been through seven grueling rounds of chemotherapy and 20 hours of radiation treatment at Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters.
While Johnson may be going through a lot "off the field," he embraced fully Sunday what his family has known is his passion for a while now. Baseball.
Johnson's mother says that he just cannot put down his plastic T-ball set, though he has many toys to play with.
For the Johnson family, this moment meant just as much to him as it did for the 2-year-old.
"It's amazing," said Johnson's mother. "I feel like a proud mom for him to have the opportunity to throw an actual real baseball on the field."
It hasn't been easy to cherish moments that most parents can with their son. The Johnson's explained that because of their son's condition, it is hard for him to do things that normal kids can do because of his suppressed immune system.
"I am more grateful for the tiniest things, said David Johnson's mother. "just to go outside and play, and watch him play."
The family said that even little things like going to Chuckey Cheese, McDonald's and going to a movie theatre can be harmful because of the medical issues David faces.
In recent months tubes, nurses and IV's surrounding their son constantly. They are enjoying that he is surrounded by a field, a bat and his passion for baseball.
The Johnson's will take this victory. And while David isn't fully recovered, the family moment at the park was a great experience that brought meaning and value to a family going through so much.
- Boy with kidney tumor throws first pitch at minor league baseball game
- 8-year-old with 3D-printed hand to throw first pitch in Wednesday's Cardinals game
- 8-year-old girl throws first pitch at Diamondbacks game with 3D printed hand
- Minor league baseball team to change their name to 'Pizza Rats' this summer
- Minor League Baseball pitcher's family killed in triple homicide
- Minor league pitcher dies in car crash in Dominican Republic
- The US is throwing away at least 3,500 donated kidneys every year, study finds
- Tottenham fan arrested for throwing banana skin onto pitch against Arsenal
- 132-pound ovarian tumor removed from Connecticut woman
- Melania Trump's kidney procedure explained