The family whose dog died on a United Airlines flight in March has reached a settlement with the carrier, the family attorney and the airline said Thursday.
The 10-month-old French bulldog named Kokito was inside an overhead bin on Flight 1284 from Houston to New York after a flight attendant told the passenger to put it there.
Kokito, a French bulldog, died after it was placed in an overhead bin
A New York state senator crafted legislation to prevent such accidents
When the plane landed at LaGuardia Airport, the dog was dead.
The financial details of the settlement are confidential as part of the agreement, according to Evan Oshan, the attorney representing the Catalina Robledo family.
United spokesman Charles Hobart said the airline began a comprehensive review of its animal transport policy and is collaborating with American Humane to improve its practices. That group works to ensure the safety of animals.
"We are deeply sorry for this tragic accident and have worked with the Robledo family to reach a resolution," Hobart said.
As a result of the incident, New York state Sen. Marisol Alcantara, a Manhattan Democrat, crafted legislation entitled Kokito's Law -- a new pet passenger bill of rights.
Among the proposals in the legislation are banning the placement of pets in overhead storage compartments.
"The federal government has done nothing to bring justice for Kokito, but I will continue the fight for this critical piece of legislation in the New York State Senate," Alcantara said in a statement.
"Rest assured, I will push for a vote in the Senate's Consumer Protection Committee, where I am the new ranking member, and I have the confidence in the NYS Attorney General to defend and enforce the laws passed by the legislature."
- Family, United Airlines settle over dog's death
- Airline worker's family releases statement
- Dog bound for Kansas mistakenly shipped to Japan via United Airlines
- GOP senator writes United demanding answers after dog death
- Senators file WOOFF Act after United dog death
- Obama press secretary Josh Earnest named United Airlines spokesman
- Documentar maletas en United Airlines ahora será más caro
- Delta Airlines Investigating Death Of Dog On Board Flight To Newark
- Police looking into disturbing death of family dog
- Egypt using death sentences to 'settle scores,' lawyer says