Cambridge Analytica, the highly scrutinized data firm that had ties to the Trump campaign, is under investigation by the Department of Justice and the FBI, according to The New York Times, which cited an American official and other individuals familiar with the matter.
The probe into the firm has led to prosecutors querying its former employees and banks that handled its business dealings, The New York Times reported Tuesday. However, according to The Times' report, the investigation seems to be in its beginning stages.
Facebook announced in March it was suspending the data firm over concerns that the group had violated the social media platform's policies and had misused the personal data of millions of its users.
In early May, Cambridge Analytica said it was shutting down its operations, noting bankruptcy proceedings that were set to begin.
Despite the controversy, Cambridge Analytica maintained it never misused the Facebook data.
In a previous statement, the company said it continued to have "unwavering confidence that its employees have acted ethically and lawfully," but that "the siege of media coverage" had driven away its customers and suppliers.
"As a result, it has been determined that it is no longer viable to continue operating the business, which left Cambridge Analytica with no realistic alternative to placing the Company into administration," the statement read.
The New York Times said Tuesday that Cambridge Analytica, the Justice Department and the FBI all declined to comment.
- New York Times: FBI and Justice Dept. investigating Cambridge Analytica
- Cambridge Analytica announces closure
- Your guide to Cambridge Analytica
- Cambridge Analytica anuncia su cierre
- Cambridge Analytica files for bankruptcy
- Massachusetts AG to investigate Facebook, Cambridge Analytica
- Facebook investigating employee's links to Cambridge Analytica
- Investigators search Cambridge Analytica's London offices
- Facebook suspende a excontratista de Cambridge Analytica
- Facebook suspends former Cambridge Analytica contractor