A Detroit father was charged Thursday in connection with the shooting of his 3-year-old son on Tuesday.
Melvin Cooley Cline III, 34, has been charged with second-degree child abuse, Felon in Possession of a Firearm and Felony Firearm.
On Tuesday, at a residence in the 5900 block of Marcus in Detroit, it is alleged that during an argument between Cline and a female acquaintance, the toddler, Melvin Cooley Cline IV, picked up a firearm in the living room.
The weapon discharged, striking the child, who was conveyed to a local hospital for emergency treatment.
A police investigation led to the arrest of Cline, who allegedly left a loaded firearm accessible to his son while in his care and a resident of his household.
Prosecutors say it is further alleged that he failed to provide a safe environment for his son.
Cline is being held on a $100,000 cash or surety bond.
- Detroit father charged in shooting of his 3-year-old son
- Father-son feud ends in highway shooting
- Metro Detroit woman searching for stolen urn containing father's ashes
- 3-year-old Sherin Mathews' father could face the death penalty
- Sarah Palin's oldest son charged with beating up his father
- Father reads poem of son killed in Florida school shooting
- 3-year-old cancer patient injured in shooting
- Father and son killed in car crash
- Father, son accused in neighbor's death
- Four shot overnight in Detroit