Florida middle school teacher Dayanna Volitich submitted her resignation after it was found she was also the host of a white supremacist podcast called "Unapologetic" and the voice behind a Twitter account riddled with racist and anti-Semitic posts.
The Citrus County School District removed Volitich from the classroom while it investigated her behavior after The Huffington Post broke the story in March. On Monday, Assistant Superintendent Mike Mullen said in an emailed statement that the district received Volitich's resignation, but it isn't final until it's accepted by the school board. Approval of the resignation will be on the agenda at the April 10 school board meeting, Mullen said.
Charles E. Moore, Volitich's attorney, had no comment on his client's resignation letter.
Volitich, 25, taught social studies at Crystal River Middle School in Crystal River, Florida. Online, she went by the pseudonym "Tiana Dalichov." Last month, she confirmed through her attorney that she was the one speaking as Dalichov on the podcast, but said her comments were "political satire and exaggeration" and the persona was a "hobby."
"None of the statements released about my being a white nationalist or white supremacist have any truth to them, nor are my political beliefs injected into my teaching of social studies curriculum," she said in the statement.
- Teacher who ran white supremacist podcast she said was satire submits resignation
- EMT worker suspended after racist comments on white supremacist podcast
- A white supremacist who ran down and killed a young black man has been sentenced to life in prison
- White supremacists targeting college campuses more than ever, report says
- Former white supremacist: The fear behind the hate
- The studio behind the satirical Saudi cartoon millions are watching
- Stephen Colbert extends Trump satire into animated realm
- Trump gets animated in Showtime satire 'Our Cartoon President'
- Syrian radio host who satirized Assad and ISIS shot dead
- 'Vice' casts Christian Bale as Dick Cheney in irreverent satire