Rep. Joe Kennedy has invited a transgender soldier to be his guest at the State of the Union address as a protest to the transgender military ban the Trump administration has put in place, Kennedy's spokesman confirmed.
The Boston Globe first reported the Massachusetts Democrat's invitation to Staff Sgt. Patricia King.
"I have served for almost 19 years," King told The Globe. "And all of a sudden, it is all hanging in the balance."
She said she realized who she was at the end of her last deployment in 2013.
"You're trying to work up the courage to make that leap, and once you do, gravity does the rest," she added.
Kennedy won't be in the chamber for Trump's speech because he will be delivering the Democratic response shortly after the address.
- Rep. Joe Kennedy invites transgender soldier to be his guest at State of the Union
- Melania Trump's State of the Union guests
- Joe Kennedy to give Democrats' response to Trump's State of the Union
- Black Lives Matter. #MeToo. Joe Kennedy III?
- Victim Advocate Jennifer Storm to be guest of Rep. Dwight Evans for State of the Union Address
- Meet Joe Kennedy, who will deliver the Democrats' SOTU response
- Ethel Kennedy Fast Facts
- Justice Kennedy retiring
- Replacing Kennedy: The Finalists
- Caroline Kennedy Fast Facts