Mrs. Coretta Scott King and musician Stevie Wonder fought for years to make it a federal holiday. Wonder told CNN that they started with tours and marches in the early 1980s. "And so our first march was in 1981, and we had another one in '82, '83. And then ultimately the bill was signed by President Reagan."
The third Monday in January is Martin Luther King Jr. Day
The federal holiday is also the only federal holiday of service
"Everybody can be great because everybody can serve," Dr. King said
Below are some facts and numbers related to the federal holiday, in which Americans are encouraged to participate in a day of service. The numbers tell the story.
- MLK Day encourages service
- Trump spends MLK Jr. Day golfing
- Parents: We'd encourage Trump's involvement
- MLK Day speakers home in on Trump's alleged 'shithole' remark
- NRA removes Valentine's Day retweet encouraging purchase of guns
- Three ways MLK speaks to our time
- Why we're fighting for MLK's final cause
- Group recommends renaming airport to honor MLK
- Democrats encouraged to go 'bold versus old'
- Pen pal program encourages reading in children