A brutal child abuse case has taken a tragic turn.
The Saginaw Township Police Department says a 3-year-old boy hospitalized intensive care since a brutal beating allegedly at the hands of his mother's live-in boyfriend on New Year's Day has died.
The man accused of beating the little boy, 26-year-old Tavaris Williams, was arraigned earlier Thursday on a charge of first-degree child abuse. He likely will be facing additional or upgraded charges now that the boy has died.
The alleged assault happened inside a unit at the Fontaine Gardens apartments in Saginaw Township. When police and first responders arrived around 2:30 p.m., they found the little boy was not breathing.
An MMR Ambulance crew was able to revive him and rushed him to a local hospital, where he died three days later.
The Saginaw County Prosecutor's Office now will wait for a medical examiner's ruling on the boy's cause of death to determine if Williams will face murder charges.
- 3-year-old dies after alleged beating by mom's live-in boyfriend
- Sources: Mom, boyfriend arrested for 3-year-old boy's death
- 3-year-old girl attacked in alleged rape
- Fellow Sioux Falls residents speak out on alleged spy's boyfriend
- 26-year-old charged with near-deadly beating of 3-year-old
- 3-year-old left in hot day care bus dies
- Immigration attorney represented 3-year-old
- Woman accused of covering up boyfriend's murders
- Amanda Knox engaged to longtime boyfriend
- Mom shoots alleged carjacker with kids in car