GOP Sen. Bob Corker said he didn't add a "single word" to the Republican's tax bill, defending himself against accusations that he is now backing the measure because of a provision that could help his bottom line.
He refuted an International Business Times story that alleged Corker received a specific carve-out in the final bill that would greatly help the Tennessee Republican's own personal wealth in exchange for his flip to "yes" on the bill.
He pushed back on the contention he is receiving a kickback by voting "yes" for the bill
'It's amazing how I was sort of the darling on the left three weeks ago and now the enemy of the left today'
He pushed back on the contention he is receiving a kickback by voting "yes".
"I should be embarrassed by this maybe but I haven't added a single word to this tax policy, that just hasn't been my focus," Corker told reporters on Tuesday.
"Obviously I had nothing whatsoever to do with any provision whatsoever of this bill," he added. "The people who are the tax writers have said that. Look, it's the way this place has become, and obviously sort of assassination if you will, but it's just not true."
Several aides have made clear that Sen. John McCain's health -- McCain flew home to Arizona this weekend -- played a role in why Corker decided to change his vote to "yes."
He also claimed that one day he was a hero of the left for not supporting the bill but now he's being vilified by them when asked if he was concerned about he would be remembered for his vote.
"Well look, I mean, it's amazing how I was sort of the darling on the left three weeks ago and now the enemy of the left today, when you're in the middle of these big issues and have an impact on them, that's just a part of it," he said. "There's no truth whatsoever to that, every person that's been involved in this policy ... knows that."
- Bob Corker defends tax bill vote against accusations of personal gain
- Corker: Putin gained a tremendous amount today
- Sen. Bob Corker's second thoughts on retiring
- Let's not crown-Bob Corker just yet
- Bob Corker: Zero question MBS ordered killing
- Tax voting starts Tuesday, why is Corker voting yes?
- Ivanka Trump backs Corker on denial of kickbacks for yes vote on tax bill
- Bob Corker's totally haywire interview with Wolf Blitzer
- Bob Corker faces uphill climb if he reconsiders retirement
- GOP Sen. Bob Corker to Trump: Stop 'whining' about Sessions