EUGENE, Ore - Whether you are tackling big or small garden projects this season, you can save money by planning in advance.
Caleb Johnson, owner of Johnson Brothers Garden Market, has insider tips to save cash.
"The number one thing you can do is to make a plan. Figure out what your top priority is-- what do you want to get done in your yard? And stay focused when you come into the garden center," Johnson said.
Another tip to save money is to grow plants from seed. It takes a little bit longer, but Johnson says it's a lot more economical. You can also purchase plants in packs including grower packs, jumbo packs, and 6-packs.
Johnson also suggests investing in bulbs that you plant once and enjoy for many seasons.
For anyone interested in trees and shrubs consider buying smaller sizes.
"Not everything is available in smaller sizes, but those that you can find, get them. You have to be a little patient. It's going to make your dollars go a lot further putting in landscape type items," added Johnson.
Johnson Brothers Garden Market is located at 91444 Coburg Road in Eugene.
- In the Garden: Gardening on a budget
- In The Garden: "Drink Up Your Garden"
- In The Garden: 2018 gardening trends
- In The Garden: Creating a Mediterranean garden
- In The Garden: Japanese-Themed Garden
- In The Garden: Hydrangeas
- In The Garden: Tips to get your garden ready
- In The Garden: Adding 'living coral' to you garden
- In The Garden: Prepping your garden for fall
- In The Garden: Filberts 101