EUGENE, Ore -- New plants this year offer big, bold colors that pop!
In this week's "In The Garden" segment, Caleb Johnson from Johnson Brother Garden Market, showcases new plants for 2018 including the Dahlia XXl.
"It's a compact dahlia, but pretty large blooms. It also has repeat blooms. So, all through the summer and into the fall you will have blooms for a perfect little centerpiece or go ahead, and cut them and use them as a flower arrangement," said Johnson.
Dahlia XXL Series can be planted in mixed containers since they aren't that big.
Also new this year, the Whopper Begonia. It's big.
"It's an extra large waxed begonia. It can do full sun and full shade. It gets about 2 to 3 feet tall. It's great as a center piece, great in a block planting and the flowers are actually 2 to 3 inches big as well, which is really cool," added Johnson.
For a pop of color, check out the Nesia Nemesia Series. Nemesia is usually a filler plant, but this series of nemesia is really fragrant. The colors are bright and the bees like it as well.
New this year, Tidal Wave Petunias.
"They are like wave petunias, but even bigger. So, imagine basically a hedge of petunias. If you want to make a hedge for the summer with lots of color, this is your plant. Put it into a container and watch it overflow. It's like a super-sized wave petunia," said Johnson.
Johnson Brothers Garden Market is located at 91444 Coburg Road in Eugene.
- In The Garden: Big, bold plants for 2018
- In The Garden: Plant detective
- In The Garden: 2018 plants of the year
- In The Garden: 2018 gardening trends
- In The Garden: Repotting house plants
- In The Garden: Planting in clay soils
- In The Garden: Plants for sun or shade
- In The Garden: Summer veggies to plant now
- In The Garden: Wild, weird and unusual plants
- In The Garden: Tropical plants can thrive in western Oregon