EUGENE, Ore. - Oregon women's basketball forward Satou Sabally has been named the Pac-12 freshman of the year, the conference announced on Tuesday during its awards show on Pac-12 Network.
"Even with a lot of talented players returning from last season, Satou worked into the starting lineup with her great skill and versatility," said head coach Kelly Graves. "She is a matchup advantage for us each and every game, with her ability to play inside and outside. Her potential is off the charts."
Sabally is the second-straight conference freshman of the year for the Ducks, after Sabrina Ionescu won last season. Sabally is the third all-time at Oregon to win it, as Shaquala Williams also won in 1998-99. Sabally, a native of Berlin, Germany, is the third international player to be named Pac-12 freshman of the year, joining Washington State's Alke Dietel (Germany) and Oregon State's Tanja Kostic (Sweden).
Sabally averaged 10.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game while appearing in all 31 of the Ducks' regular season games with 22 starts. Sabally made her first career start on Dec. 2 against Weber State. Three games later, against Ole Miss on Dec. 17, Sabally was back in the starting lineup for good, starting Oregon's last 21 games. The 6-foot-4 forward saved her best for the last week of the regular season, scoring 25 points and hitting 7-of-9 three-pointers in an overtime win versus No. 10 UCLA on Feb. 19. Sabally also had 21 points against No. 18 Oregon State on Jan. 21 and 22 points against Weber State in her first career start.
Sabally leads all freshmen in the Pac-12 in scoring (10.9 points per game) and field goal percentage (46.7 percent). Her seven three-pointers against UCLA is tied for the second-most by any Pac-12 player in a game this year.
Sabally and the No. 6 ranked Ducks open the Pac-12 Tournament on Friday as the No. 1 seed after clinching their first Pac-12 regular season title since 1999-2000.
- Satou Sabally named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year
- Web Extra: Satou Sabally on advancing to the Elite Eight (3/24/18)
- Kevin Abel Named Freshman of Year
- Oregon Cruises in Pac-12 Quarterfinal
- Sabrina Ionescu Wins Pac-12 Player of the Year
- Abel earns another top freshman honor
- Web Extra: Tres Tinkle on being named to the First Team All Pac-12 (3/5/18)
- Oregon's Emma Eddy and Oregon State's Don Tchilao named Pac-12 players of the week
- Oregon Advances to Pac-12 Tournament Championship
- Oregon Women's Basketball Wins Pac-12 Tournament