EUGENE, Ore. -- A fatal crash on Dillard Road in Eugene that left one person dead leaves neighbors questioning the safety of that road.
KEZI 9 News reached out to neighbors who said they are aware of multiple crashes that have occured on Dillard Road.
Oregon State Police could not confirm that this road is prone to accidents.
Shakina Maloney, who lives on the same street where the crash occurred, said she was outside doing gardening work when she heard commotion from Tuesday morning's crash.
Although officials said they can not confirm if speed was a factor in the crash, Maloney said she thinks speed is an issue on Dillard Road.
"I would like to put speed signs here like 'deer crossing,' 'deer parking' or 'slow down' or 'danger zone' something like that because we have a car that doesn't mean you have to speed up and go," Maloney said.
According to a study by Nationwide Insurance, August is the deadliest month for car crashes.
The company looked at the number of crashes over the course of five years. They found nearly 16,000 people died in the month of August.
Lieutenant Von Schleicher with Oregon State Police said August is so deadly because more people are on the roads traveling.
Lt. Schleicher said it's more likely for the people on the roads to be drinking and driving.
Investigators believe alcohol played a role in Tuesday morning's crash.
Lt. Schleicher shared safety tips for people to take driving more seriously.
"Ensure that they're not participating in intoxication whether its beverages or other substances that would impair their driving and realize they have an obligation when they're driving a car to put the phone down," he said. "If there's a phone call or a message, it can wait until they get to their destination."
He also stressed the importance of planning your route before you hit the roads to avoid looking down at navigation systems or apps.
- Neighbors react to deadly crash on Dillard road
- Dillard house fire being investigated
- Lane County Sheriff's Office identifies man who died in Dillard Road crash
- Threat causes lockdown in Winston-Dillard School District
- Neighbors react to stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Neighbors, victim react to possible hate crime in Junction City
- UPDATE: 4 Victims in Deadly Harrisburg Plane Crash Identified
- Motorcycle crashes on Bailey Hill Road
- Neighbor recalls fighting the Row River Road fire in Cottage Grove
- Neighbors say Highway 99 is prone to crashes after a 13-year-old was killed