EUGENE, Ore. – Friends and family are mourning the loss of a University of Oregon student who died while skiing on Mount Bachelor.
Nicole Panet-Raymond, 19, died Friday after falling into a tree well, which is an area of loose snow around a tree trunk.
Her former high school in Portland, St. Mary’s Academy, held a special prayer service for her Monday.
Those who knew her well, or even just in passing, said she was a shining spirit and kind soul.
Her death came just hours after another tragedy on Mount Bachelor. A snowboarder died after also falling into a tree well.
Experts said these accidents happened due to an increase in light, powdery snow. Before this, it had been nearly three years since the last death on Mount Bachelor, and 16 years since one involving a tree well.
- Friends remember UO student who died on Mount Bachelor
- Eugene woman dies in accident on Mt. Bachelor
- UO students unveil renewable energy plan
- UO student creates bullet-resistant laptop case
- UO football player arrested
- Oregon hiker dies after falling off Mount Storm King
- Climber who died after fall on Mount Hood identified
- Witnesses: UO student was drunk when he died at Lake Shasta
- Long time friend to the Adams family remembers them fondly
- Friends, teammates and coaches gather to remember Fotu Leiato